YELLOW RIVER POST OFFICE
Dating back to 1839, this historic site originally served as a communication center for the entire southern Gwinnett County area. The farmstead represents a portion of Thomas P. Hudson’s original 562-acre plantation and includes a barn, washhouse, general store and slave quarters. A portion of this site was donated to Gwinnett County in 2006 for the purpose of redevelopment for cultural and educational use. Historic Yellow River Post Office was transformed into a community park through the design of a slatescape trail system, pervious concrete car parking within existing trees, landscape design utilizing a native tree palette, the addition of bus parking, design of a new restroom building, and interpretive signage for self-guided tours.
Foresite Group coordinated with Gwinnett County Department of Community Services to provide construction administration services for this site, currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This project was completed with a goal of preserving as many trees as possible and creating the least impact on this historic site.